HOW TO GET RID OF SQUIRRELS
WHEN ARE SQUIRRELS MOST ACTIVE?
If you have large trees, bird feeders, crops and/or fruit on your property, there’s a good chance you’ll have squirrels. All these items act as squirrel magnets. These critters are especially active (and up to mischief) in spring and fall, and they typically look for shelter — including in houses — during the cold months of fall and winter. While gray and red squirrels are most active in the day, flying squirrels are nocturnal.
PROTECTING OUTSIDE AREAS (3,000-4,000 square feet)
For outdoor squirrel control, the Yard Gard and Solar Yard Gard are electronic ultrasonic repellents that use sounds out of the range of human hearing to irritate pest animals, repelling them from your property. The squirrels are not harmed by the sound of these squirrel control products, but they are encouraged to seek more peaceful areas. Because the sound waves are nearly silent to the human ear, these products can be used within residential areas. With specific pest animal settings, and continuous or motion sensor operation modes, these devices are effective, low-maintenance squirrel control products. Since squirrels are considered a member of the rodent family, you can effectively deter them using the “Rodents/Bats” setting found on the units’ frequency dials.
PROTECTING INSIDE AREAS
Sometimes, pest squirrels find their way into homes, causing noise, messes, & destruction that could otherwise be prevented with the Transonic PRO. The Transonic PRO is an electronic device suitable for indoor & semi-enclosed areas, covering up to 3,500 sq. ft. per unit. Using a combination of irritating ultrasonic sounds (frequencies humans cannot perceive) & audible sounds (sounds within the range of human hearing), squirrels are effectively chased out of areas you want to protect, such as the attic, basement, garage, shed, & more. In terms of the best method for how to deter squirrels from your home, we typically suggest adjusting the unit settings to Sound Pattern “C” & Sound Volume “Loud.”
HOW TASTE & SCENT DETERRENTS CAN HELP
Interested in natural squirrel repellents? Nature’s Defense All-Purpose Animal Repellent effectively rids outdoor areas of over 20 kinds of pests, including squirrels. This scent & taste aversion product is made with all-natural, organic ingredients that create a powerful scent barrier to repel pests. While this deterrent targets multiple animals, it is harmless to people, pets, & plants. Unlike other granule repellents, this product does not contain blood, urine or rotten egg, so it is safe to spread around your lawn to get rid of pesky squirrels.
WHY KEEPING SQUIRRELS OUT OF YOUR PROPERTY IS SO IMPORTANT
Keeping squirrels out of your property is essential to making sure your family, your pets, & the squirrels themselves stay safe. Here are some examples of the issues they can cause:
- Squirrel droppings may pose the risk of salmonella to anyone coming into contact with them.
- Squirrels are commonly infested with ticks & fleas, both of which can be harmful to people. Ticks carry the danger of tick fever & Lyme Disease, which can spread on your land as well as your household pets. Fleas can also be carried into your home by squirrels & once your home is infested, it is incredibly difficult to counteract, as these bugs nest in carpets, soft furnishings & furniture.
- They can cause property damage by chewing wires, ripping up insulation, digging holes/ruining gardens, defecating inside homes/buildings, etc.
- Squirrels also commonly nest in attics or chimneys.
OTHER IMPORTANT TIPS TO KEEP IN MIND
- Prevention is key: Once squirrels establish a home, it can be very difficult to get rid of them without taking the necessary steps to make your property as uninviting to them as possible.
- Clean up before installing our products: Please clean all infested areas thoroughly & safely to get rid of squirrel droppings & evidence of nesting (such as in trees & insulation – squirrel mothers will relocate babies if they are in an uncomfortable environment).
- Cover vents and chimneys with a mesh screen: This can prevent squirrels and other animals from getting access to your house.
- Take away food sources: Removing food sources temporarily, such as birdseed in non-squirrel-proof feeders, may also help to speed up the process. Feeding squirrels directly with squirrel feeders, peanuts, corn, etc. must be stopped immediately if squirrels aren’t welcome. Likewise, remove fallen fruit from your property. Cover your garbage cans with tight-fitting lids. Aim to take away any possible food sources that are drawing squirrels to your home.